Chester County Food Bank, in partnership with Penn State Extension Master Gardeners of Chester County, is thrilled to offer Seed to Supper, a beginning gardening course for growing veggies at home on a budget.
Designed for adults, the free classes highlight practical, low-cost techniques for planning, planting, maintaining, and celebrating the harvest of a successful vegetable garden. Classes include onetime 2-hour sessions on vegetable gardening for beginners, container gardening, and an in depth 6-week course. Classes are taught both indoors and outdoors with hands-on activities. Teams of facilitators support participants as they learn to plan, plant and harvest garden produce – increasing participants’ access to fresh produce and improving overall food security.
Seed to Supper FREE Classes
Vegetable Gardening for Beginners
This 2-hour introductory class reviews low cost ways to build healthy soil, care for the garden, and harvest your bounty! Meet new people and connect with gardeners in your area.
Monday, March 30 | 5:30 pm – 7:30pm
Bethel Baptist Church
412 Fairview St., Phoenixville 19460
Wednesday, April 1 | 5:00 – 7:00pm
730 Wheatland St., Phoenixville 19460
Seed to Supper 6-week Course
This 6-week course (2-hours per week, for six consecutive weeks) provides an in depth look at the following topics while supporting gardeners with the tools and confidence to successfully grow a garden on a budget.
- Planning your garden – planting plans and maps, crop rotation
- Building healthy soil – composting, making garden beds
- Planting your garden – fertilizing, seeding, transplanting, vertical gardening
- Caring for your garden – watering, weeding, pest management
- Harvesting your bounty – crop-by-crop guide for harvesting, storage, cooking
Tuesdays April 14 – May 19 | 5:30 pm -7:30 pm
400 E Pothouse Rd, Phoenixville 19460
Become a Volunteer Facilitator
Are you an experienced gardener interested in sharing your knowledge with others? Classes are led by teams of 2-3 facilitators and are taught both indoors and outdoors with hands-on activities for 8-15 adult participants. We are seeking passionate volunteers to facilitate Seed to Supper classes in English, as well as individuals who can teach classes in Spanish.
- Facilitator Training is held once a year in winter months.
- The 8-hour training prepares you to teach the 6-week course, in addition to the 2-hour introductory classes.
- Receive a training certificate, meet new people, and get involved with your community.